Sunday, July 28, 2013

Camping

I am a little embarrassed to admit that my family has never gone camping before.  The kids haven't really shown an interest in it mostly because I really haven't shown an interest in it.  For some weird reason though we got the itch to go this summer so we invested in all the necessary gear, begged the Palmers to join us, and headed up Scout Mountain.  We had so much fun!  We relaxed, did crafts, read books, and in the evening the Call Family joined us for a delicious dutch oven dinner that LeeRoy cooked for all of us.  

Once it got dark we sat around the camp fire roasting s'mores and listened to Wendy tell spooky ghost stories.  Once we headed to bed LeeRoy and I debated on whether or not to put the tent cover up.  He said we should but I really wanted to look at the stars before falling asleep.  I won and it felt great...........until 4:30 in the morning when i awoke to raindrops falling on my face.  I quickly woke LeeRoy and we stumbled outside with flashlights and tried getting the cover on as quickly as we could in the dark.  Luckily, my dad heard the raindrops and came to help us.  It was definitely an adventure.

The next morning after breakfast mom and I stayed behind to relax in the shade while everyone else went for a hike.  Wendy was so funny!  She found a walking stick and sharpened the bottom to a nice point with a rock so she could protect everyone in case they ran into a bear on their hike.  After hiking a while LeeRoy, Emily, and Lorenzo got tired and headed back while Wendy and Papa kept going to the top.  Wendy later told me that hiking with papa was her favorite part of camping.

We had so much fun that by the time we packed up we were kinda sad to go.  Once we got home and all cleaned and unpacked it was time for bed.  I came up with a great idea that we could continue our camping adventure be camping out in the living room together.  So.......we pulled out all the bedding and mattresses we had just put away and made our beds.  The kids loved it and it was a nice way to end the weekend!










No comments: