Monday, December 27, 2010

Christmas in Idaho

I told LeeRoy that I had a horrible realization as the girls were opening their presents this year. He asked what it was and I told him I realized that the toys don't come out of their boxes already put together and that the stack of boxes and wrapping paper doesn't just magically disappear by mid-morning. He got quite the laugh out of that one!

We had a wonderful Christmas this year. It was different, and definitely a challenge but still wonderful. The whole month of December was full of fun activities and every night before bed the girls got to eat a chocolate from their countdown calendars and they took turns picking a Christmas story for me to read to them. This was a lot of fun and really helped us feel the spirit of the season all month long.

The week of Christmas Emily's school had a sing-in with each grade singing a song. Emily's grade sang "I Want a Hippopotamus for Christmas". They did such a great job. It was adorable. In this video she is in the front row towards the center with the polka dot pajama pants, (it was also pajama day at school):



That week the girls and I also put together a gingerbread house. It w
as fun to do but I think we ate more of the candy than made it on the house! Mmmmmmmm


We spent most of Christmas Eve at my parent's house playing games, eating, and hanging out together. When we got home that night we tracked Santa's flight through Norad and laid out some water, cookies, and reindeer food for Santa. The girl's were very excited to finally go to bed!


On Christmas morning I was the first one awake and got to ring the bells waking everyone else up. I had the girls line up behind a curtain I had put up the night before before they came out to see what Santa had brought. Emily got a pink Ipod Nano and a Password Journal. Wendy got a Baby Alive. They were so happy! We spent the rest of the morning unwrapping presents. The girls loved everything they received. We spent the rest of the day with family and loved every minute!






The best part of the day was getting to Skype with LeeRoy in the morning and at night. The girl's were so worried about Santa finding him and filling his stocking so they were so happy when he was able to show them that his stocking did get filled. He was even able to open some presents with us.


Being apart on such a special day was not easy but we found ways to still make special memories and appreciate each other. We spent a lot of time talking about the true meaning of Christmas and why we celebrate it. I am so thankful for such a wonderful family and we are already looking forward to next year when we can all be together again!

1 comment:

Alisha said...

What an eventful weekend you guys had! Im so glad u were able to talk to LeeRoy, i hope he knows he is in our prayers. The girls look so happy seeing what santa got them. looks like an amazing Christmas! Love you.